The history of Yongkang City Library can be traced to the Reading Room of Yongkang County Education Hall for Citizens established in 1929. Yongkang County Library was established in 1978 and renamed Yongkang City Library in 1992.
With 17 staff members the current library building completed in 1989 covers an area of 1,295 square meters and offers a collection of 120,000 books. It has collected more than 1,500 kinds of literatures, local annals and genealogies. It sets up a website for local literature collecting and servicing. Annually more than 100 kinds of local literatures are added.